assistant product designer
full-time | Santa Monica
Responsible for assisting the product design team from product conception to completion, developing products that are trend-relevant and aligns with aesthetic, while also preserving traditional artisanal techniques. The Assistant Product Designer will help with creating mockups for all product categories carried at The Little Market, including home decor, textiles, accessories, spa products, and more, as well as support packaging design, and quality control testing.
- Assists with tech pack creation, adding specifications, details, dimensions, etc.
- Creates a bill of materials for design concepts and shares with artisan and producer groups and/or internal teams as needed.
- Supports with product design research and compiling inspiration images.
- Assists with wear testing products and quality control.
- Creates packaging and labeling files, tracking to ensure all products have correct labeling needs for each category; works closely with cross functional teams to coordinate printing and delivery.
- Works closely with the Product team to review designs and samples (physical samples and images) and from artisan and producer groups, and helps compile and share feedback on details, including color, material, size, etc.
- Maintaining Product Design spreadsheets for project organization/tracking (i.e. workflow and priority charts, pantone tracker, etc.)
- Helping with design sample organization and archiving.
- Coordinating lab dips, swatches & fabric samples to/from artisan groups.
- Ensures cohesive design aesthetic across all product categories.
- Develops familiarity with artisan techniques, cultures and traditional practices.
- Assists with research for new products, designs, and techniques.
- Follows relevant sites and sources for industry trends.
- Minimum requirement of assisting the warehouse team 3 days per year with miscellaneous warehouse tasks and order fulfillment, including transporting product as needed.
- Supports other projects as needed.
- 1-2 years relevant experience.
- Familiarity with computer design systems, including Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Basic understanding of key materials, product development, and production processes.
- Familiarity with artisanal techniques is a plus.
- Ability to meet objectives with creative, innovative, and sustainable design solutions.
- Comfortable handling and digesting a large amount of real-time data.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong organization and planning skills – able to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Excited to work in a fast-paced and energetic environment.
- Knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Office including Excel.
- Helpful and positive attitude.
- Flexible work schedule (i.e. nights, weekends, and holidays).
- Ability to adapt and shift based on organizational priorities and production updates.
- Interest in fair trade, social justice and women’s rights.
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
how to apply
Please send the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Assistant Product Designer" as the subject of your email.
- Cover letter
- Names and contact information (email or phone) for three references
- Only complete applications will be reviewed. Due to the large number of applicants, only short-listed candidates will be contacted further.
- (No phone calls, please)