Chief of Staff
full-time | Santa Monica, CA
A new position for The Little Market, the Chief of Staff (CoS) will serve as the right-hand to the Co- Founder/CEO, with a bird’s-eye view across the organization, connecting the dots and providing leadership and oversight for the organization’s day-to-day functions. The Chief of Staff will be part advisor, part gatekeeper, part problem-solver, and part all-around strategic partner to develop strategy to meet organization goals and advance The Little Market’s mission. The CoS will provide support to the CEO and help her increase organizational integration and effectiveness, and develop strong organizational culture, communications, and cross-organizational planning. The CoS will enable the CEO to focus on broad strategic initiatives both within and beyond the organization, and will follow up on critical projects, carrying initiatives forward with the CEO.
The role has both internal and external-facing responsibilities and will bring the skill and experience to integrate quickly into The Little Market and work effectively with the leadership and the team, operating at maximum effectiveness, professionalism, and maturity. The ideal candidate will handle complex situations and multiple responsibilities simultaneously, mixing long-term projects with the urgency of immediate demands. They must also have the demonstrated ability to deal with highly confidential information and act as a liaison between the CEO and other constituencies. They must exhibit the skills to collaborate with and achieve actionable results through others, the ability to build strong and sustainable relationships and the capability to interact within all levels of the organization. They will also have a special focus on interdepartmental collaboration.
The Chief of Staff will have the authority and confidence necessary to make thoughtful and considered decisions with and on behalf of the CEO while enjoying a behind-the-scenes role. The Chief of Staff will be a trusted colleague to the Management Team and Leadership Team, serving as a facilitator and partner in achieving organizational and team goals and removing bottlenecks
The role requires a highly trustworthy, resourceful individual. While this position calls for a willingness to play an active, behind-the-scenes role, it should not be categorized as an administrative role; the position is a highly strategic and facilitative one that requires both focus and flexibility. This is an exciting opportunity for a mid-career change-maker with a passion for fair trade, social justice, and women’s empowerment.
- Serves as a key advisor to the CEO on all aspects of The Little Market and works closely with team leads to facilitate fluid, cross-organizational planning and communication.
- Oversee planning and execution of all Board meetings as well as governance and investment committee meetings. Oversee Board development and onboarding of new Board members.
- Own behind-the-scenes preparation to make CEO meetings, both internal and external, successful, including research and preparation, drafting correspondence and tracking, monitoring, and execution of action items that stem from these meetings, as well as attending many of them.
- Strategically respond to and prioritize the high-volume demand for the CEO’s time, ensuring that the CEO focuses on the most impactful areas to drive organizational growth and impact.
- Translate the CEO’s goals into actionable priorities and work streams for the organization to execute.
- Maintain a critical eye to ways the CEO's time can be best utilized by formally and informally assessing systems in place and implementing new ways to make things work more efficiently.
- Engage in root cause analysis without prompting from the CEO on issues and opportunities that could impact the organization.
- Efficiently and effectively escalate and resolve mission- critical challenges in a fast-moving environment.
- Make recommendations through tactful and discreet engagement with the relevant parties.
- Supervise the eventual Executive Assistant, building a strong team in the CEO’s office.
- Help the CEO develop, manage, and track an organizational capacity plan for strategic direction, assembling various dashboards and analyses, and coordinating the organization’s goals.
- Coordinate and execute special projects and lead the execution of various projects required to support TLM’scontinued growth.
- Work with team to design and steward planning and seek to streamline organization-wide systems.
- Ensure alignment among different stakeholders (artisan partners, charitable partners, funding partners, etc.) and help problem-solve and create engagement, cooperation, and hospitality around cross-program and special projects.
- Operate with a clear understanding of the breadth of projects within the CEO’s purview; present timely work- in-progress updates and/or action items.
- Oversee an internal communications and culture building strategy, including managing internal all-staff meetings and designing the systems and processes for fluid communication and culture building throughout the organization.
- Draft internal memos on behalf of the CEO, write up external meeting reports.
- Produce correspondence relating to CEO’s multifaceted internal and external work.
- Serve as a point of contact between the CEO, top management, employees, and other stakeholders.
- Minimum of 8 – 10 years’ experience working as a Chief of Staff or high-level Executive Assistant, supporting senior level executives.
- BA degree in public/non-profit/business administration, and experience working at a non-profit is preferrable.
- Experience in cross-functional executive team leadership.
- Experience serving as a key ambassador of an organization, with both internal and external
- Experience working with leadership or Boards in a non-profit organization required.
- Skilled in management and leadership with the ability to direct programs, and cross-functional
teams in an efficient and effective manner.
- Results/action-oriented; excellent project management, strategic, and analytical skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including tact, patience, acumen, and the ability to work with manydiverse individuals and groups across various functions.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills, and the ability to formulate recommendations and
improve team dynamics.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including creative writing, presentation
development, and presentation skills.
- The ability to prioritize work and follow-up with meticulous attention to detail and accuracy.
- The ability to work effectively under pressure, handle multiple priorities, tasks, demands, and time-sensitive pressurized situations.
- Capable of working with tact across the organization with staff regardless of their position.
- Unquestionable personal code of ethics, integrity, diversity, and trust.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment; and commitment to completing tasks on time and to the highest ethical and professional standards.
- Computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite); Excel and PowerPoint presentations.
- Well-versed in the use of social media.
- Good stamina and willingness to travel and work on weekends when necessary.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and good sense of humor.
Maintains all The Little Market’s Team Values including:
- Compassion & Empathy
- Mission-Focus & Passion
how to apply
Development Resources, inc. is leading this search for The Little Market. Applications can also be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.