Purposefull Tote - Oakland
Made in Bangladesh
by artisan women using sustainable jute fabric
$ 20.00 - $ 22.00
Show your city spirit. Tote baseball, basketball, and football game essentials in this water-resistant bag. Each purchase empowers artisans at CORR - The Jute Works in Bangladesh.
Fair Trade Shopping Bag - Oakland | The Little Market
- 5 x Small - Approx: 15.5" wide x 11.5" tall / Black with 1 in shopping carts
- 5 x Small - Approx: 15.5" wide x 11.5" tall / White
- 5 x Large - Approx: 16" wide x 15" tall / White with 1 in shopping carts
- Small: approximately 15.5" wide x 11.5" tall x 7.5" deep
- Large: approximately 16" wide x 15" tall x 9" deep
- Materials: LDPE lamination coated jute fabric, AZO-free ink
- Laminated interior is water-resistant
- Care instructions: Spot clean exterior. Wipe interior clean with damp cloth.
- As with all handmade items, slight variations will occur
- Customize it! Contact our Customer Support Team at (800) 404-3300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn about adding your own unique message to this bag.
Corr Jute empowers destitute, rural women in Bangladesh through handicraft production. The women artisans, who are mostly illiterate, make beautiful handicrafts with local materials during free time between household activities. Corr Jute not only creates market access, but also provides job training and develops leadership skills. The women are able to supplement their marginal family income, contributing towards better living conditions.
Durable and environmentally conscious, these meaningful bags are made from locally sourced, ready-made jute fibers, which grow well in Bangladesh’s climate. CORR - The Jute Works has a sewing center in Mirerbazar and works with producer groups within the city of Dhaka to sew these bags. This process can take approximately an hour and half based on the sizes, designs, and materials, without accounting for screen printing. Our Product Development and Design Team at The Little Market works together to provide hand-lettering and font styles that are then screen-printed by hand using AZO-free reactive colors at CORR - The Jute Works. We are proud to work with the skilled artisans as they preserve a technique that is passed down across generations. Every piece is an intricately designed work of art.
Sitting on the Bay of Bengal, Bangladesh shares its borders with India, Nepal and Burma. With a population of 152 million, Bangladesh is the world’s 8th most populated country. It is also a very densely populated country, with a poverty rate of 31.5%. After 15 years under military rule, democracy was restored in Bangladesh in 1990, however the political scene remains volatile. Girls now outnumber boys in primary schools because of effective education policy that has been implemented. Yet, Bangladesh has the highest rate of marriage in the world for girls under 15. In 2013, thousands of workers were killed when the Rana Plaza building collapsed, which has led to some progress in ensuring better safety regulations in garment factories.
Fair Trade Products
Fair Trade is an approach to international trade centered around equitable partnerships, transparency and respect. It seeks to empower marginalized producers by providing them safe working conditions, fair pay, and a means to establish a sustainable business free from exploitation. As a member of the Fair Trade Federation, we are committed to the Fair Trade principles.